Encroachment Permits

Lime green construction dumpster full of scraps

General encroachment permits grant permission to work in or block any portion of City Right of Way (ROW). General encroachment permit forms may be filled out in the Construction Engineering office located in the basement of City Hall or you can use the fill-able pdf form by using the General Encroachment Application (GEA) form link below. General encroachment permit fees are calculated using the linear footage of cut or disturbance in the ROW. A fee calculator can be found near the bottom of this page. Please read the application requirements on the form and provide all supporting documentation when you submit the application. General encroachment forms may be mailed, hand delivered or emailed to our staff.

Sign for Marble Slab ice cream shop

Formal encroachment permits are issued to allow a portion of a building to be built under, in or over City ROW or to attach components to a building which will project into or over City ROW. The application fee is $50.00 per item/application. Only original forms are allowed to be submitted as the application must contain original signatures. Applications may be dropped off at the Construction Engineering office in City Hall or mailed directly to Construction Engineering. Use the Formal tab in the list below to access further information and current forms. Since these applications will generate a legal agreement that requires formal action by Council and/or the City Manager, these permits will take several weeks to process.

  1. General
  2. Excavations
  3. Dumpsters
  4. Blocking Sidewalks
  5. Formal
  6. Wireless Facility
  7. Signs or Cafe on Sidewalk

General Encroachment

The GEA form is used to apply for any construction or blockage in the City's Right of Way (ROW). Some examples are for; dumpsters, construction material storage, construction material loading/unloading, construction staging space, moving vans, single parking space usage associated with construction activities, temporary access to private property, building maintenance, water/sewer taps, utility installation, utility maintenance, driveway construction, sidewalk construction, landscaping/irrigation installation and any other construction activity.

Typical applicants include contractors, developers, homeowners, owner representatives, sub-contractors and utility companies. Applicants / permit holders are responsible for any work that takes place under a general encroachment permit for a period of 5 years. For this reason, the City recommends that the party performing the work apply for the encroachment permit.

Applications are available online or at City Hall. In addition to completing the application, applicants must also submit a detailed drawing that includes existing features, as well as the proposed work in the City ROW. If the work involves closing sidewalks, parking spaces, traffic lanes or streets a US Department of Transportation Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) compliant traffic control plan is also required. Applications can be submitted by mail, in person or by email. When sending via email attach the application and drawings to your email and send via to email to our staff.

Failure to obtain encroachment permits prior to performing work or blocking any portion of City ROW will result in double encroachment permit fee charges. Failure to comply with required permitting requirements may result in verbal warnings, written warnings, stop work orders, citations with fines of $1,093.00 per day per offense, and / or other possible enforcement actions including civil and criminal action.

Construction Standards and Details
The Design and Specifications Manual (DSM) contains construction details that may apply to your proposed work.

General Encroachment Fee Calculator

Currently there is no fee for blocking portions of City ROW associated with a construction project. However, encroachments permits must be issued/approved before blocking any portion of City ROW. Use the calculator below to estimate fees for excavations, cuts or other construction work in the public right of way:

  • Single parking space usage
  • Temporary access to private property
  • Utility cuts
  • Utility installation