Public Works Operations
The Stormwater Operations Division controls the flow of surface water through the maintenance of open ditches and piped drainage, and through the installation of storm drain pipe.
The City's remedial program aims to upgrade the drainage in small select areas where the cumulative impact will have a positive effect on restraining storm water run-off. The Division also manages the 30-year post-closure plan for storm water drainage at the Mauldin Road landfill.
Rights of Way and Trees
Tree crews evaluate trees in the right of way, removing trees or limbs as needed. They also maintain planted medians and beautification areas outside the Central Business District.
The Wastewater Division is responsible for maintaining 355 miles of sanitary sewer lines. This work includes making remedial repairs to the City sewer system, which is designed to reduce inflow into the Mauldin Road treatment plant. Operations are financed by a sanitary sewer charge, which is based on meter size.
Streets & Sidewalks
The Streets maintains 263 miles of City streets, performs construction / rehabilitation work on 310 miles of sidewalks and 185 miles of curb and gutter sections, and assists in the maintenance of State roads within the City. Pavement maintenance includes roadway patching, driveway tie-in, and raising manhole covers.
The Division is also responsible for sweeping the City's parking garages and parking lots on a scheduled basis, and sweeping all arterial streets leading into downtown and all neighborhood streets with curbs and gutters.
- 310 Miles of Sidewalks
- 129 Miles of State Roads within the City
- 176 Facilities Maintained
- 310 Miles of Curb and Gutter
- 107 Miles of Piped Drainage
- 263 Miles of City Streets
- 51 Miles of Open Ditches
- 312 Miles of Sanitary Sewer
- 800 Pieces of Equipment Serviced and Maintained
- Who do I call if the sidewalks needs to be repaired?
- Who do I call if I don’t have a sidewalk in front of my house?
- When do they sweep the streets?
- How do I get a speed hump installed in my neighborhood?
- Who do I call if I see paint, oil, chemicals, or debris spilled on the streets?
- Where do I report a pot hole in the street?
- Does the city repair driveway tie-ins?